Ready to head out and do your own Target Couples Challenge?Challenges on the TikTok app have soared in popularity over the last couple of years.
The latest trend is the ‘Target Challenge for couples‘. This involves couples (or two friends) buying items in Target based on a set of rules or categories.
The challenge first emerged around a year ago and shows no signs of slowing down, with Target Couples Challenge videos now at over 500 million views!
How To Do The Target Challenge
- Come up with a list of things you will each go find and buy for each other.
- Walk into the store together, and each person will grab a basket…start your timer according to the rules you have set (say 30 minutes) and make sure you each know the budget (no more than $100)
- Run around the store collecting items that meet the requirements.
- Check out and meet back at the car (or the front of the store).
- Head home to reveal your items, showing each other what you picked out, at the same time.
- Don’t forget to record their reactions to your gifts…and obviously post on TikTok if you’re into that.
Target Challenge Couples Rules
Some examples of the challenge rules include:
- Buy your partner something in their favorite color
- Buy their favorite drink or snack
- An item that makes you think of them
- An item you think your partner needs
- Purchase an item you would like your partner to try
- A piece of clothing that they HAVE to wear to your next date
- The weirdest item you can find
- Something cozy or comfortable
- An item which triggers a memory of us
- Something you can use together
- Something you think they will love
- An item you picked with your eyes closed
- Something for us to do on our next date
Once you have purchased your item, film a TikTok video of you swapping your items- often with hilarious reactions!
Why Has The Challenge Become So Popular?
- This date idea creates a unique bonding experience- Target is full of all sorts of random items so no two dates are the same!
- Find out how much you really know about each other
- Encourages thoughtfulness- Buying each other items in one store, which tends to offer budget buys, means you have to be extra creative.
- Spices up your date routine- A date at Target is completely unexpected and probably far from your usual date venue. Buying items on the spot for each other also encourages you to be spontaneous.
- Budget-friendly- Everyone likes saving money. This date idea works out cheaper than your average date and you’ll have some cool gifts to keep at the end!
- Target is the perfect location for this game. It’s a big store, so less chance of running into each other, it’s low-priced + there’s a huge variety of items available to purchase.
- Convenience- If you live in a city chances are you’ll have a Target store not too far away. You can also run any other errands you need to do while you’re there!
Tips for Playing the Challenge
- Create your own set of rules for a Target Couples Challenge that’s completely unique to you!
- Pick 5-10 rules or categories depending on your budget and how much time you have
- Start at different ends of the store and try to avoid bumping into each other so you don’t ruin any surprises.
- To make this game more challenging, add a budget or time limit
- Add a new twist on the game by playing in a different store or even a gas station!
Target Couples Challenge List
- Something that reminds them of you
- A game you want to play together
- Their favorite snack
- Something you can do together
- Something they want
- Something they need
- Favorite drink
- Something to try
- Something Random
- Something that smells good
- Surprise Gift
- A food they have never tried before
- Something sentimental
- Favorite color
- Something you want them to have
- Something cozy
- Something special
- Something to wear
- Something you think they’ll love
- Something for the house
- Something for your pet
- Something for your next date night
- Something they use in the morning
- Something they need in their car
- Something you want them to wear
- Something they always run out of
- Something for their hair
- Something for their face
- Something they have to wear next time you go out
Try a certain theme:
- Rainbow Edition- grab something from each color of the rainbow for your partner
- Holiday Edition- Valentine’s Day/Christmas/Easter things
- Favorites Edition- Make a list of favorites questions to find.
- Disney Edition- All your items have to relate to Disney in some way.
- Date Night Edition- Each item should be used for your date after the challenge
Target Challenge Rules
Set out some rules before you go, like a time limit or budget you can spend. You’ll be shopping together, so you can always add a rule that you each start at a different end of the store. (It’s always fun to run into each other in the middle!)
-30 minute time limit
-$50 maximum spend
-Just take pictures of the items
Mix It Up
TikTok trends become trends because they’re fun. But one thing that we don’t personally like, is that they are all the same. Try mixing it up a bit to make it more unique! (Especially if you’re posting on TikTok!) Get creative and make it a bit different than everyone else.
Ideas we would do:
Each person gets to text the other the next clue. This way, you won’t already have an idea of what you’re going to get.
One person starts the game at the front and says “something to wear”, and you both go grab that item. After a certain time (say 10 minutes), the next person texts the other “something I love”, and you both run to grab that item…and on and on.
Make it a scavenger hunt for a list of favorites. But you don’t have to buy everything…you just need to take a photo.
-Favorite movie, TV Show, Game, Dessert, etc.
If that item is not in the store…like favorite movie is Titanic (we doubt they have that DVD) then find something that can symbolize the movie and take a picture of that. (Like a picture of a toy boat).
Make it a date night challenge. Yes, the Target challenge is part of your date, but make date night the theme.
Everything you choose should be used for the rest of your date. So, head to Target around lunch time, and reveal your items before getting ready to go out.
Include items like “something to wear” that you’ll have to wear on your date night…”something we can do together” to add to the date, etc.
So what are you waiting for? Jump on this fun trend slash date night and see what you can come up with!