Time to celebrate your upcoming nuptials, but…who pays for the bridal shower?! No-one likes talking about money, and it can really suck the fun out of planning a celebration! However, it is best to have this organized as soon as possible so that everyone can budget accordingly.
A Bridal Shower is a gathering of a Bride’s friends and family before the wedding. It’s a great chance for all the special ladies in your life to get to know each other properly and break the ice before your big day!
Traditionally the attendee’s will give the Bride a gift for her new married life. Bridal Showers also have fun wedding shower theme ideas & tend to involve games, food and drinks.
But who pays?
Typically, you will have someone offer to plan your bridal shower. Whether it be a large party at a family members house, or a co-worker offering to throw you one with your colleagues at work, if someone offers to plan it, let them.
It’s fairly common for a family member or close friend to step up to plan the shower, and they may even go in together to pay for the event.
Costs you will need to consider include:
- Food- Whether it’s a professional caterer, or just some light nibbles, you will need to account for food within your budget. You may wish to include a cake or bridal shower cupcakes.
- Alcohol- For some groups this could be a large expense! Cut costs by purchasing in bulk.
- Entertainment- Any decor, activities and props you wish to add.
- Accommodation- If you are having the wedding shower in a restaurant or event hall, your rental costs will need to be assessed.
- Decorations- Decorations should not cost much. Etsy is a goldmine for reasonably priced and even personalized decorative items.
- Bridal Shower Games– Again, these aren’t likely to cost much, but still should be included within your budget.
Nominate once person to organize and stick to the budget. Make sure all of the party are aware of what money needs to be paid, and when. Have the members of the party agree to make all payments on time and set a reminder. No-one likes to chase up money they are owed, and it can really dampen the mood!
There’s no black-and-white rule when it comes to who pays for the Bridal shower. Here are your options:
- The Bride’s Parents- The Bride’s parents traditionally cover some of the wedding costs; this may include the Bridal shower.
- The Bride- The Bride may have no issue at all paying for herself!
- The Fiance- The ultra-cute option! The Fiance may choose to treat his bride-to-be.
- The Maid of Honor and Bridesmaids- The maid of honor and her bridesmaids may wish to cover the cost if they are in charge of hosting the bridal shower. This largely depends on what you are doing and where you are going for the Bridal Shower. Perhaps this contribution could be instead of a wedding gift.
- Divide the Bride’s cost between everyone attending the Bridal Shower- if you’re hosting at a restaurant, you could always have the guests in charge of their meal.
Which option you choose will depend on the cost. If the Bridal Shower is very expensive, not all attendees may be able to afford to chip in for the Bride. It also depends on who chose the event. If the Maid of Honor chose a lavish location, it might not be fair to ask the Bride-to-be to foot the bill!
Remember, you are all friends, and can have an honest conversation about handling the finances. It doesn’t have to be awkward. Other difficult financial choices will need to be made, such as who pays for the bridesmaid dresses. Approach these aspects tactfully and honestly. Once that’s out of the way you can focus on having fun!
Sara, a seasoned expert in wedding planning and date ideas, brings a wealth of experience to our couples blog. With a background in the television industry and hands-on involvement in a dozen weddings, including working as a wedding assistant on "My Fair Wedding with David Tutera," Sara has an innate understanding of the magic that makes weddings truly special. Growing up with four sisters has given her unique insights into the dating world, making her a go-to source for practical and heartfelt dating advice. Her knowledge and enthusiasm make her the perfect guide for couples seeking to infuse their relationships with creativity and love.