Need some fun lunch date ideas because your schedules are so packed?
A lunchtime date can be a great fun way to change up your time with your partner. If you both have busy schedules a lunch date allows you to have a quick lunch break catch-up.
A daytime date is a less high pressure than a full evening out as it feels much more casual and laidback.
This makes it ideal for those who have just started dating or if you are a little shy or nervous.
Meeting up in the day also mixes up your routine and feels a bit more spontaneous.
Many people feel more energized at lunchtime during the evening.
An extra bonus is that many venues are a bit quieter than in the evening.
Some places even do daytime discounts, making it a more budget-friendly option too!
What To Do For A Lunch Date
Here are our top picks for lunchtime date ideas:
Go Out For Food
Whether it’s a casual brunch at a cafe or a more formal lunch at a nice restaurant, going out for food is a classic date choice.
For extra spontaneity, why not try a place neither of you has been before or a foreign cuisine?
Many places tend to be a bit quieter during the day so you can enjoy more quality alone time together, as well as have a greater chance of getting a good table!
If you are really stuck for time, try just ordering an appetizer.
The best thing about a picnic date, is that they can be adapted to whatever suits you.
This is a great option if you have limited time and for those meeting in their lunch breaks from work, as they can be as long or short as you need.
Have your picnic at your local park, beautiful viewing spot or even your backyard.
Even a park bench will do the trick if you are having a lunch hour date!
Simply grab a blanket and some of your favorite snacks.
Shopping together can actually be surprisingly intimate and tell you a lot about the other person.
Pick new outfits out for each other at the mall or go to a bookstore for a more relaxed vibe.
This can be altered for how much time you have.
Spend the whole day wandering around the mall on a weekend or just pop into a handful of your favorite stores during your weekday lunch hour.
Grabbing a quick coffee with someone suits those with busy lifestyles.
Many couples will find that when their time together is limited, they’ll keep the conversation to what really matters to them.
Spoil yourselves at lunchtime with a facial or couple’s massage.
A set appointment is great for those with busy schedules that need to plan their time carefully.
If it’s the weekend or you have more free time, you could even book a whole spa day for the ultimate luxury lunch date.
Or try a fun couples spa date at home.
A lunchtime date is a perfect opportunity to get more active and have an outdoor date together.
Whether it’s just a casual walk in the park, a lengthy hike, or a romantic bike ride, exercising outside together has a ton of benefits.
This date gives you plenty of alone time, while decreasing stress and is good for your health.
Plus it’s a completely free date!
Remember to bring some healthy snacks and plenty of water.
Visit a Museum or Art Gallery
If you are lucky enough to live near an exhibit, take a chance to have a wander round at lunchtime.
You can learn more about the museum subject, as well as each other and there are plenty of conversation starters.
This date also can be structured to have much time you have.
Casually wander around at your own pace on a weekend and explore together.
Alternatively, have a quick walk-through during your lunch hour, there’s no pressure to see everything.
Many art galleries are free so you can always return for your next lunch date to see the rest.
Play A Sport
Studies show couples that work out together are more likely to stick to their fitness habits.
Sports for couples can be one of the most fun ways to work out!
Try tennis, squash or badminton.
If you are looking for something more relaxing, give swimming or golf a try.
Mini golf is ideal for a shorter game if you don’t much have free time during the day.
Take a Class
Taking even just an hour-long class during the day can leave you feeling inspired for your afternoon.
And the options are endless!
You could choose something creative such as painting, playing a musical instrument or cooking.
Alternatively go for a fitness class, like yoga, dancing or boxing.
Taking a class is a great way to develop an existing skill or learn a completely new one, while being a real bonding experience.
You may even find a new couples hobby to do together!
Bowling is a fun retro date. Most games can be completed in an hour if you are short of time during the week too.
Bowling is laidback and casual, while encouraging a bit of friendly competition.
Go to a Local Market
A flea or antique market is surprisingly fun for a date idea.
Look for vintage clothing or homeware or have a competition to see who can find the most unusual item!
Maybe you’ll even find a hidden gem.
Farmer’s markets are a good idea for more long-term couples, but can give new couples lots to talk about too.
You could even buy some produce to make a lovely meal for each that evening.
Many have free samples which give you good conversation starters and an opportunity to learn more about each other’s tastes.
Bars don’t need to be kept for evening dates!
Treat yourselves to a few daytime cocktails at lunchtime.
Drinking earlier means you have less chance of a hangover (as long as you stop by the evening!).
Bars are usually quieter too, so not waiting to get served.
More Lunch Date Ideas
- Food truck tour: Go on a food truck tour of your city. Hit up all the food trucks around your town. Grab a grilled cheese from the famous cheese truck, a smoothie, and then top off with ice cream for dessert!
- Mini golf: Play a round of mini golf for your date at a nearby course or indoor facility.
- Smoothie Date: Head out for some smoothies and take a walk around the streets.
- Museum visit: Spend your lunch hour exploring a museum or art gallery together.
- Farmer’s market: Check out a local farmer’s market, sample some fresh produce, and grab some snacks to enjoy on a nearby bench.
- Outdoor yoga: Find a nearby park or green space and practice some yoga together in the fresh air.
- Scavenger hunt: Create a lunchtime scavenger hunt for each other, with clues that lead to different locations or activities around your city.
- Bookstore browsing: Browse a local bookstore together, pick out a book to read together, and grab a coffee or tea from the in-store cafe.
You can also do this as a library date!
- Volunteer work: Spend your lunch hour doing some volunteer work together at a local organization or charity.
- Ice cream date: We are always slipping this one in for every date idea!
- Street fair: Check out a street fair or festival that’s happening nearby, try some new foods, and enjoy the entertainment.
- Escape room: Try an escape room experience that you can complete during your lunch hour. Work together to solve puzzles and clues to escape before time runs out.
- Try A Cooking Class: Sign up for a cooking class together and learn to make a new dish. You can cook along with the class during your lunch break.
- Public art walk: Take a walk around your city to explore public art installations and sculptures. Some towns have murals on their walls, where you can go take pictures together. You’ve probably seen the angel wing ones somewhere, right?
- DIY spa day: Bring some DIY spa essentials like face masks and aromatherapy oils with you and create a mini-spa wherever you decide to have your diy spa date.
- Couples Spa Day: Or even head to the spa for a nice couples massage together!
- Geocaching: Go on a geocaching adventure together during your lunch hour. Use your GPS or smartphone to locate hidden treasures around your city.
- Wine tasting: Attend a lunchtime wine tasting event at a nearby wine shop or winery.
- Karaoke: Hit up a nearby karaoke bar or rent a private karaoke room for some lunchtime singing fun.
- Aquarium Date: Visit a nearby aquarium or aquatic center during your lunch hour.
- Fitness class: Sign up for a lunchtime fitness class like yoga, Pilates, or dance. Get your workout in together and feel energized for the rest of the day.
- Hiking: Take a hike on a nearby hiking trail and go for a lunchtime hike together. It’s a great way to get some fresh air, exercise, and enjoy nature before you have to get back to work.
- Outdoor boot camp: Sign up for an outdoor boot camp class that takes place during your lunch hour. These classes usually last 30-45 minutes and provide a high-intensity workout.
- Bike ride: Rent bicycles and go for a ride around a nearby park or bike trail. You can pack a healthy lunch and enjoy a picnic after your ride.
There are plenty of fun and creative lunchtime date ideas to try out with your partner, friend, or colleague.
From picnics in the park to escape room adventures, exploring public art, and trying out different fitness classes, the possibilities are endless.
Whether you have a full hour or just a quick 30-minute break, taking some time out of your day to connect with someone special and enjoy some quality time can do wonders for your mood and productivity.
So why not mix up your lunchtime routine and try out a new lunch date today?
Sara, a seasoned expert in wedding planning and date ideas, brings a wealth of experience to our couples blog. With a background in the television industry and hands-on involvement in a dozen weddings, including working as a wedding assistant on "My Fair Wedding with David Tutera," Sara has an innate understanding of the magic that makes weddings truly special. Growing up with four sisters has given her unique insights into the dating world, making her a go-to source for practical and heartfelt dating advice. Her knowledge and enthusiasm make her the perfect guide for couples seeking to infuse their relationships with creativity and love.