Looking for Mother Son Date Ideas? They call them “mama’s boys” for a reason – we are their first true love, the one they go to when they need help, the one they rely on to comfort them – the one they seek love and affection from.
There’s lots of ways that we show our sons our love for them on a daily basis.
The time and effort we put into making their food, cleaning their clothes, teaching them and rocking them to sleep – it all matters.
But what our children crave more than anything is our time and attention.
The Importance of Mother Son Dates
Mother son dates are a great way to spend some quality time together.
During these dates, it’s important that you put down your work, your phone, and your stresses, and focus purely on spending time with your son. This will help the two of you grow closer in more ways you can ever imagine.
Not only do mother and son dates give you quality one-on-one time together, but they’re also a great time to laugh together, find similar interests, and take the time to talk.
As your son grows older, you’ll want him to be able to come to you with serious topics.
By talking to him and allowing him to ask open and honest questions at a young age, he’ll be more likely to come to you with difficult topics when he’s older too.
This gives you the opportunity to sway your son in the right direction during times when peer pressure can be tough.
Use this time to get to know your son better, develop trust in your relationship, and open the pathway for open and honest communication.
Anyways….on with it! Here are some of our favorite mother son dates:
Mother Son Date Ideas
Head to the Playplace
There’s no doubt about it – little boys are active! Young boys need to run and play to release their energy.
So today, run and play with them! Head to your nearest playplace to jump on trampolines, crawl through tunnels, and race down slides.
You’ll be surprised how much fun it is to be a child again, and your son will be thrilled that you’re taking the time to be active with him.
And with any luck he’ll sleep great for you tonight too!
If you ever went to the arcade as a child, you probably loved it! The arcade is the perfect place for some competitive fun with your son. Pac Man, shooting games, Donkey Kong – the arcade has it all!
Out for Dinner
Get dressed up and go on an official date together. We mean it – do your hair, your makeup, and get your son dressed to the nines!
Let him feel like the man of the house, and let him take you out on the date. If you’re okay keeping him up, you could maybe even go for a movie and popcorn after? This is a great opportunity to teach you son how to treat a lady!
The Batting Cages
The batting cages are a great place for boys (and girls) to practice their swing. Not only is it fun, but it helps with their gross motor skills.
If you don’t have batting cages in your area, you could also just go outside and throw the ball around.
Alternatively, head to a sporting event together – it’s not just for daddys!
There are few boys in the world that don’t love sports.
And whether you’re a fan of them or not, going to a sporting game together can be a great bonding experience.
Let your son pick what he’d like to go see – a hockey game, a baseball game, a soccer game – whatever he enjoys the most.
And remember, you don’t have to spend a fortune on a big league game. Going to watch a home team will be just as fun as long as you’re together.
Build a Fort
You don’t have to leave your house to plan a great date with your son. There’s something special about forts – we have yet to meet a child that doesn’t love them.
So for this date, build the biggest, tallest, widest, most amazing fort that you can build together.
Then snuggle underneath to read books, watch a movie, or even sleep.
Or try out a backyard tent date with your boy.
If you have a son that loves the outdoors – go for a mommy and son campout. You don’t have to travel far – you can have a campout date in your own backyard!
Set up a tent, light a fire, and roast some s’mores for storytelling time. If you don’t have a backyard, you could even do an indoor campout with s’mores on the stove!
Hunting for Bigfoot
Whether you believe in Bigfoot or not, going on the hunt can be a great activity for you and your son!
Find yourselves some camo gear, a good pair of binoculars, and a camera, and head into the woods to “hunt for bigfoot”.
If you have time, you could even pre-make a Bigfoot scavenger hunt sheet.
Can you find a large footprint? What about a piece of fur? Or some broken twigs? These could all be signs that Bigfoot has been in the area!
Go For a Bike Ride
There’s no doubt about it that little boys need lots of exercise – and a great way to get them out and moving is with a bike ride.
Go for a ride in your own neighborhood, or find a local bike trail. If you have time, bring along a picnic and just enjoy nature together.
If you’re up for a little friendly mother-son competition, laser tag is a great place. Laser tag is not only entertaining for young boys, but it’s also a great source of physical activity.
Whether you decide to shoot each other or pair up for some teamwork against others, laser tag is a date your son will thank you for!
More Mom Son Date Ideas
- Movie night with your son’s favorite film.
- Go to a baseball game and cheer for your favorite team.
- Have a picnic in the park with your son’s favorite snacks.
- Go hiking or take a nature walk.
- Visit a local museum or art gallery.
- Go to an amusement park and ride the roller coasters.
- Play a round of mini golf or disc golf.
- Go to a video arcade and compete in some games.
- Take a cooking class together and learn to make a new dish.
- Go to a concert or music festival.
- Visit an aquarium.
- See the animals at the zoo.
- Go on a bike ride and explore your city.
- Attend a sporting event or game together.
- Visit a local farm or farmer’s market.
- Go to a water park and cool off on hot summer days.
- Take a pottery or ceramics class and create something together.
- Go on a fishing trip and spend time in nature.
- Take a day trip to a nearby town or city.
- Have a game night with board games or video games.
- Go to a trampoline park and bounce around.
- Take a dance class together.
- Volunteer at a local charity or shelter.
- Go to a science center or planetarium.
- Take a trip to the beach and build sandcastles.
- Have a spa day and pamper yourselves.
- Go rock climbing or indoor bouldering.
- Visit a theme park and ride the roller coasters together.
- Have a DIY project day and build something together.
- Go to a karaoke bar and sing your hearts out.
- Take a road trip and explore a new destination together.
Of course, it doesn’t really matter what you and your son are doing together. As long as the time that you spend together is quality one-on-one time, your bond will grow stronger than ever.