In need of some Competitive Date Ideas? A little healthy competition never hurt anyone. In fact, it can get you and your partner pumped up and excited for a date.
In most cases, we don’t suggest making your partner your competition. But for today, we say bring on the battle with some of our favorite competition date ideas!
Is Competition in a Relationship Healthy?
Let’s start by clarifying “competition”. There are two types of competition in a relationship; healthy competition and unhealthy competition.
Unhealthy competition would consist of daily battles against your partner.
Who has the better job?
Who makes more money?
Who will win the argument?
Who is better looking?
Battles like these will lead you and your partner down a dark, dark road, and they are very unhealthy. Of course, this is not the kind of competition we’re talking about today (if you’re in a relationship like that, we suggest rethinking your position).
Today, we’re talking about a little friendly, healthy competition.
Competition where both parties win in the end because they both had fun. Sure, it’s okay to rub it in a little, but at the end of the day, it’s all about having a good time – and maybe even placing some sexy wagers.
You can always try some fun couples challenges together.
So what are some of our favorite competitive date ideas?
Competition Date Ideas
When you think about competition, one of the first things that comes to mind is any type of active sport.
Baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer – the list goes on and on.
These are all great sports for dates with other couples or a group of friends but they can also be amended for just two people.
Sports for couples are a great way to stay active, have some fun, and get a little competitive along the way.
If you’re hoping not to get too sweaty on your date, you could do a more low key sport like bowling.
Yes – bowling is a sport!
Unless you’re a competitive bowler, most couples will start out on an equal playing field in the sport of bowling.
It’s a great way to compete with each other, and strive for your personal best each game too! Plus, a bowling date is always a good idea!
Most people don’t think of fishing as competitive – or a date for that matter.
But it can be both! I mean, you’re talking to a Fisherman’s wife! 😉
Fishing makes a great date because it’s calm, relaxing, and gives you and your date an opportunity for conversation.
You can add a little competition to the date too – who can catch the biggest fish? Who can catch the most fish? Loser has to kiss a fish?!
Ready to turn back the clocks and feel like kids again?
There’s no better place to bring out your competitive edge than on an arcade date!
Pinball, air hockey, racing games, shooting games – there’s so many different games to compete against one another at the arcade. You might even be able to win your date a prize!
If you’re looking to add a little adrenaline to your date, hit the race tracks!
Go kart race tracks are a fun, casual atmosphere that can help to take the edge off – especially during a first date.
Plus, the adrenaline pumping action can help to boost your endorphins and increase the attraction between the two of you!
You don’t have to be actually driving the cars to get the rush! If you don’t have go-karts near you, head to the race tracks instead.
The racetracks are full of action-packed fun! You can watch the races and place some bets on who you think the winner will be!
Whether you’re on your first date or your 100th date, the carnival is the perfect place to go!
Delicious food, amazing snacks, games, and rides – what more could you ask for?
Start off getting your thrill on, on some of the rides and coasters, see who is more brave. Then head over to the arcade to battle against each other in some of the carnival games.
We definitely don’t recommend this date if you’re angry with one another (just kidding!), but archery can be a great way to learn a new skill together while at the same time competing to see who has the best shot!
If you’re looking for something super unique for your date, try your hand at axe throwing!
It sounds a little intimidating at first but axe throwing doesn’t take long to get the hang of and it’s very fun!
Again, see who has the best aim! Can anyone get the bullseye?
There’s so many different versions of golf that you can try!
For non-golfers, we’d say stick to mini golf on the first date to avoid any embarrassment (real golf can be tough to get the hang of).
But if you’re up for a bit of a challenge, go ahead and hit the driving range or opt for a 9-18 hole round of golf!
If you’re up for a little sport but don’t want to go too hard, you could also try a round at the batting cages.
For those who don’t know, batting cages are basically hitting baseballs, except without the running for the bases. Who can hit the most? Winner gets a kiss?
This is a great affordable date idea too!
If you’re in an area that has a lot of snowfall in the winter months, why not take advantage of it?
As adults, most of us stray away from the snow. But snow can provide the perfect opportunity for some teenage romance.
Build a snowman, go skiing, make a snow fort, and have a good ol’ one on one snowball fight!
Such a fun winter date together.
Okay, so this date isn’t for the faint of heart. But if you can handle a little punch, you can battle it out on the paintball course!
Paintball is active, fun, and romantic all at the same time! Plus, if you’re holding any anger against your partner, it’s the perfect opportunity to ready, aim, and fire!
Laser tag is like a more tame version of paintball. You still get to shoot each other – but without all of the bruises left over afterward.
Team up against each other in your first round, and then work together to shoot other opponents in round two!
Board Game Night
We couldn’t finish off a competition date article without a good ol’ fashioned board game night! Board games for couples are the ultimate form of competition because that’s exactly what they’re designed for.
So pop out some snacks and treats, and play the night away in the comfort of your own living room!
Target Couples Challenge
You’ll head to Target together (or you can do the thrift store date version) and pick out specific items for each other, and reveal them when you get home.
More Competition Date Ideas
- Escape room challenge – An escape room challenge provides an opportunity for couples to work together to solve puzzles and escape the room, making for an exciting and bonding adventure date.
- Karaoke contest – A karaoke contest provides an opportunity for couples to showcase their vocal abilities and entertain each other.
- Trivia night at a bar – Trivia night is a fun and engaging way for couples to test their knowledge and compete against other teams. Try these fun NFL trivia questions.
- Cooking competition – A cooking competition allows couples to showcase their culinary skills while enjoying some friendly competition.
- Food tasting contest – A tasting contest provides an opportunity for couples to refine their palettes and challenge each other’s taste buds.
- Video game tournament – A video game tournament provides a chance for couples to engage in some playful competition while enjoying their favorite games.
- Beach volleyball – Beach volleyball is a great way to enjoy some sun, sand, and exercise while competing against each other in a fun and relaxed setting.
- Pool tournament – A pool tournament provides an opportunity for couples to show off their skills and enjoy some friendly competition over a few drinks.
- Scavenger hunt – A scavenger hunt date is a fun and adventurous way for couples to explore their surroundings while competing against each other to be the first to complete the hunt.
- Foot race – A foot race provides a chance for couples to enjoy nature while challenging each other’s endurance and speed.
- Roller skating – A roller skating date is a fun and playful way for couples to enjoy each other’s company while competing to see who can stay on their feet the longest.
- Ice skating – An ice skating date is a classic winter date activity that allows couples to enjoy some romance and friendly competition on the ice.
- Ping pong tournament – A ping pong tournament provides an opportunity for couples to engage in some fast-paced and exciting competition while improving their reflexes.
- Billiards – Billiards is a classic competitive date activity that provides an opportunity for couples to show off their skills and enjoy some friendly competition.
- Basketball game – A basketball game provides a chance for couples to engage in some friendly competition while improving their coordination and athleticism.
- Bubble soccer – Bubble soccer is a hilarious and fun way for couples to compete against each other in a unique and playful way.
- Ziplining race – Ziplining provides a thrilling and exciting way for couples to enjoy some adventure and compete against each other to see who can zip to the finish line first.
Well, there you have it – some competitive and fun date ideas for couples to try out!
These activities provide a great opportunity for couples to bond, have fun, and tap into their competitive sides in a healthy and exciting way. So grab your partner, pick an activity, and let the games begin!
Sara, a seasoned expert in wedding planning and date ideas, brings a wealth of experience to our couples blog. With a background in the television industry and hands-on involvement in a dozen weddings, including working as a wedding assistant on "My Fair Wedding with David Tutera," Sara has an innate understanding of the magic that makes weddings truly special. Growing up with four sisters has given her unique insights into the dating world, making her a go-to source for practical and heartfelt dating advice. Her knowledge and enthusiasm make her the perfect guide for couples seeking to infuse their relationships with creativity and love.